Spring on a dirt road is…interesting.
My poor little Mom-Van had more paint shaken off of it these past few weeks. We have had days of 70 degrees and sunshine. And the next morning snow. What that means for a dirt road is that it becomes nearly impassable with potholes. And not just one or 2 jumbo potholes but so many potholes in a section that we actually have traffic! (For us traffic means 6 cars in a row as far as we can see. )
The good news is that after it dried up a bit we got a serious grading. See below.
That center mound if dirt is about 1 1/2 feet high. No way the Mom-Van was getting over that. I had to drive until I caught up with the grader and then wait until he pulled over before I could continue on. But I gotta tell you, it was worth it! Nothing like a freshly graded dirt road.
The other thing that has been going on is bird houses. Hubby wanted to make some bird houses. He made them from old wooden pallets. Upcycling at its best. If I would have been more with it, I would have documented the whole process. It was pretty cool. But I wasn’t and I didn’t. I have however taken a few shots of them being used.
Oh wait! Did you notice it was NOT a bird that was on the BIRD FEEDER! Yup. Dratted squirrels have been having a grand ol time at our bird feeders. He looks pretty proud of himself doesn’t he. Humph. Hubby has been devising a gauntlet for them. Trying to protect the bird feeders. It usually only lasts a couple of days and then they figure it out. It is quite amazing actually.
We don’t have a porch right outside of our sliding glass door. (on our wish list) However the little stinkers have figured out how to run UP THE SIDING of the house to the window bird feeder!!!
As I say they are really quite amazing animals.
We do have a lot of birds that get the seeds. I don’t have picture myself, but here are 2 of my hubby’s photos. He has a great camera! And a good eye.
We have been starting our pea and gourd seeds in the house for when it is warm enough.
I have ordered some flowers. My mother in law has some Hostas for us to plant. We just need Mother Nature to cooperate and make it warmer for good. The frogs are also back. Singing very loudly. We are again home of the Farting Frog.
I know I said I was going to post about our vacation. And I am pretty sure I will, but this was more interesting today. While I am doing a little bit of catching up I should mention that I recently was nominated for 2 more awards. (And I am still in my PJ’s this morning so it seems like a good time to accept awards, eh?)
First off I need to thank Amy at Cloud Cou Cou Crafts for the nomination of the Liebster Award. This is an award for up and coming bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers. ( I am currently at 80 I think. Whoo Hooo. And she thinks I am up and coming. Sweet!) Amy is a very crafty lady who lives in North Wales. (I just love that people all around the world can connect through the world-wide web!) Anyhow, she has some pretty neat stuff on her blog. Go check her out!
Here are the rules for the award:
- Post eleven facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create eleven questions for people you’ve nominated.
- Choose eleven people (with fewer than 200 followers) to give this award to and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them.
- Remember, no tag backs.
My 11 Random Facts:
- I would rather go barefoot than wear shoes.
- I blog in my jammies.
- I have lived in more than 24 houses.
- I love to laugh. Especially with my family.
- I am scared of spiders. Unless my kids are more scared. Then I am brave.
- If I had to choose another animal to be I would be a dolphin.
- When I was a kid we got our car stuck in the ocean. We left it there and had to dig it out the next day.
- I hate bugs. Really hate them. I mean it. Uck.
- I love good black licorice.
- I love coconut.
- I wish I could love coffee. It smells so good. I just can’t get over the taste.
- Why did you start blogging? I started my first blog: Born4Travel as a way to share my photos. But it didn’t really take off and life got busy. I started this blog for much the same reasons. I wanted to share my new house and country living. I have been lucky enough that people other than my family find it entertaining. (Thanks you guys!)
- What’s your pet peeve?
I really get annoyed at indifference. Like when you go to a store and the clerk could care less if your bread is on the bottom of your bag and your watermelon is on top of it. Argh!
- City or countryside? Well, I bet you can guess. Countryside all the way.
- What’s your favourite film? I actually love movies. I have a large collection of Disney movies. And I think it would be too hard to pick just one. But one of my favorites is The Princess Bride. (Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya!)
- If you could invite 3 people to a dinner party who would they be? I think I would invite Martha Stewart. I would actually just like her to clean my house and prepare the meal. I think I would invite Walt Disney. I would love to get to know the creator of the Happiest Place on Earth. And then I would invite my Grandpa. He passed away 16 years ago. I miss him everyday. I would love to have the chance for my family to know him.
- What’s you favourite fabric line? I think I am too new to actually know fabric lines. But I have bought Moda before and I do like it. Batiks are what I am in love with though. <3
- Who’s your favourite author? My all time favorite it C.S. Lewis. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Or maybe it is J.R.R Tolkien and the Hobbit. Tough choice.
- Morning person or night owl? definitely a morning person. I turn into an evil pumpkin after 9pm. Seriously, ask my children. They call me Mumzilla at night. I need my sleep.
- Do you have any goals for the year? Yes. I do.
- Where did you last go on holiday? Eastern Caribbean. Post to come soon.
- Favourite word? Again a tough call. I love the word Mimosa. It is just fun to say. Mimosa. Try it!! I often say that on my tomb stone should be the words “I wonder”. I always wonder things. But if I go all intellectual like I think my favorite word is LOVE. Because really I think that is the most important thing.
My new 11 Questions for the blogs I nominate:
1. If you could be any animal what would you be.
3. Coffee or Tea?
4. Where would you like to travel to?
5. What is your secret talent?
6. Would you like to be rich or famous?
7. Do you think paper books will ever become obsolete?
8. What is your favorite hobby?
9. What makes you laugh?
10. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
11. If you could change 1 thing about yourself, what would that be?
And the 11 blogs that I nominate are (in no particular order)
- UK City Crafter
- Crab and Fish
- Cloud CouCou Crafts
- Life on a Colorado Farm
- Clear Reflection Yoga
- Primal Quilting
- Cotton Happy Days
- Buzy Day
- The Garrison Vanderbilt Experience
- The Life and Loves of a Sheweevil
- Erins Back Yard Farm
Thanks for playing along!
I have also been nominated for another award:
I have received this award before and I am flattered that the lovely lady at Container Chronicles nominated me. She has a lovely variety of subjects on her site. Pop on over and tell her hello!
Well my goodness! If you have read this far then I really want to thank you for your endurance. Little did you know this would be a marathon read, eh?
Today there is rain. A lot of it. Hubby just called and said that the nicely graded road has turned into a mud pit and he had to use 4 wheel drive to get through. I wonder how the Mom-Van will do. I will find out soon.
Thanks for reading!